SEO / Link Building / Content Marketing
SEO for Insurance Companies
Running an insurance company today can be profitable, but stressful. Customers are relying on online research more than ever before, comparing your quotes to quotes from your competitors, and learning more about your company (for better or worse) with a single search.
You know the insurance business inside and out, but the world of search engines may seem foreign and/or complex to you. You aren’t sure why your competitors are outranking you for insurance-related keyword terms, and you don’t know where to start with boosting your online visibility.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through the importance of SEO for insurance companies, as well as the basics of how an SEO strategy should work—and how to get started with an SEO or link building strategy of your own.
Why SEO Is So Important for Insurance Companies
Search engine optimization (SEO) is all about increasing your website’s likelihood of showing up in search engine searches, using a combination of different onsite and offsite tactics. But why is this important for insurance companies?
First, consider the benefits of SEO for insurance companies:
- Higher visibility. Practicing SEO increases the likelihood of your pages reaching the top of organic search results for keywords and phrases related to the insurance industry. In other words, when a potential customer searches for something like “car insurance quote” or “where to get business insurance in Alaska,” your website will be ranked higher than your competitors’ websites.
- Better brand recognition. Insurance companies can also benefit from the increased brand recognition of ranking higher in search engines. SEO involves a combination of strategies, all of which can make your brand more noticeable—and therefore better received by the general public.
- More traffic. One of the most important advantages of SEO is its potential to generate organic traffic. Higher results in search engine results pages (SERPs) attract more clicks, and of course, more clicks means more people reviewing your insurance policies and requesting quotes.
- Long-term potential. SEO is one of the highest-ROI (return on investment) marketing strategies available, in part due to its long-term potential. The more you invest in SEO, and the longer you pursue these strategies, the more efficient your campaign will become (and the better results you’ll receive).
You should also consider the fact that there are roughly 6,000 insurance companies in the United States (depending on how you want to define “insurance company”), and many of them are competing for search engine real estate. With most of your target customers turning to online searches as a preliminary form of insurance research, SEO has become a practically necessary defensive measure; if you don’t invest in SEO, your competitors will leech the majority of these opportunities.
What Is Link Building for the Insurance Industry?
SEO is a somewhat complex strategy, comprising multiple individual elements like onsite optimization, onsite blogging, and technical improvements like the implementation of SSL encryption. But one of the most important tactics you’ll pursue is link building.
Link building for the insurance industry utilizes links from external sources to boost your website’s perceived trustworthiness. In short, the more links you have and the higher-quality those links are, the higher you’ll rank in search engines.
The actual mechanics are a bit more nuanced. When Google and other search engines try to determine how to rank individual webpages in SERPs, they generally consider two categories of factors: relevance and authority. Relevance refers to the subject of the page in question, and whether it matches the user’s search query. Authority refers to the perceived trustworthiness of the page; you’ll sometimes hear this called “domain authority” (DA) or “page authority” (PA), depending on whether it applies at the domain or page level.
Google measures authority with a system called PageRank, which evaluates the number of links pointing to a given domain or page, and the authority of the source containing those links. Accordingly, earning more links from high-authority sources will increase the authority of your own website.
Link building is the strategy insurance companies use to boost their own authority, and gradually climb the rankings of SERPs.
Everything You Need for Link Building Success
Just spamming links to your site isn’t going to help your insurance company rank. In fact, spamming links can do more harm than good. Google is acutely aware that ill-intentioned domain owners would take advantage of this type of algorithm to manipulate their own rankings. Accordingly, if you’re found to be participating in a link scheme or otherwise building low-quality links, you could suffer a Google penalty.
Instead, it’s vital that you build natural links. Some insurance companies do this by relying on purely natural links; they create content worth linking to, and hope that eventually other bloggers will cite it in their work. This strategy will guarantee that the links you earn will be wholly natural, but it’s far from reliable; depending exclusively on link attraction will generally result in slow, inconsistent growth.
Insurance companies tend to find more success by link building through the help of offsite guest posts. The general idea is to create high-quality offsite content that links back to your most valuable onsite pages. If you publish these posts on high-DA websites, you’ll earn significant authority for your own site.
Good links have a few important qualities in common:
- Strong surrounding content. Your link should be housed in strong content. If the content is poorly written, it probably isn’t going to be accepted by publishers, and will turn readers away. Strong content will make sure your link gets placed and stays active for as long as possible. It can also improve your insurance company’s reputation.
- Strong linked content. The piece you link to should also be strongly written. If you link to a mostly blank page, readers won’t be happy, and publishers might remove the link eventually. Instead, try to link to an article with an interesting or compelling argument, or one that contains original research you’re citing in this new piece.
- Contextual relevance. This goes along with the point above, but make sure your link is contextually relevant. If it seems shoehorned into the content, people won’t follow it, and it probably won’t look good for your company.
- Natural placement. The link itself must seem natural in the body of the article. Accordingly, there should be links to other high-authority sites, and there should only be one link pointing back to your domain per article.
- Relevant anchor text. It was once advisable to include anchor text exactly matching your target keywords and phrases, but these days, exact matches aren’t as important—in fact, they can hinder you more than anything. It’s much better to include anchor text relevant to the content you’re linking.
There are more factors to consider, including the mix of links you build overall, but these are some of the most important. You’ll also need to consider the fact that these links are clickable, so they can also be a powerful source to generate direct referral traffic.
5 Critical Link Building Strategies for Insurance Companies
If you’re interested in getting started with link building, these are some of your best introductory strategies:
- Create ample, high-quality onsite posts. Start by creating a body of impressive onsite work. Write about topics relevant to the insurance industry and/or your target demographics, and include as much original research or as many robust, original arguments as possible. You’ll use these to create much higher quality links in your offsite work.
- Develop a strategy for creating high-quality offsite content. The best way to build links is by leveraging high-quality offsite posts. Develop a strategy for writing, publishing, and syndicating these. Do you have specific demographics you want to target? Are you striving for both SEO and referral traffic optimization?
- Start building publisher relationships from the ground up. Get your guest posts featured on relevant publishers by building relationships with the editors. Start with publishers highly relevant to your niche, or ones in your local area; these tend to be more open to guest submissions, and are a good place to start.
- Generate more attention for your content and authorship. The more attention your content is getting, the better; more eyes on your content means more potential earned links, a better reputation as an author, and ultimately, a boost to your brand. This can make it easier to get publishing opportunities in the future as well.
- Scale your strategy. Finally, work on scaling your strategy. Gradually, you’ll want to work your way to bigger, more prominent publishers. These links will earn you more authority for your site, and forward more referral traffic to the pages you link.
Outsourcing SEO for Insurance Companies vs. In-House Options
When you’re ready to use link building for your SEO strategy, there are a few main options available to you. You could do the work in-house, hiring a full-time professional or tasking someone on your team with building links. You could also hire a freelancer or contractor to handle the work, paying them for one-off jobs to flesh out your strategy.
However, the better option for insurance companies is to work with a link building agency. Link building agencies specialize in link building and SEO, and have full teams of experts to work on your campaign. They’re much more reliable than depending exclusively on contractors, and much less expensive than hiring a full-time employee or team to handle the work.
The only real caveat here is that you need to hire a link building agency with a good reputation, and one focused on building only the best links for your insurance company.
Choosing the Right Link Building and SEO Partner
There are many link building companies out there who claim to provide you with high-quality link building services. However, not all of these are legitimate. Some link building companies rely on black-hat tactics, focusing on link quantity instead of link quality, engaging in link schemes, or leveraging poorly written content to support your links.
If you want your link building and SEO strategies to be successful, you need to find the right partner for your company.
These are some of the most important considerations to bear in mind:
- Expertise.First, consider this agency’s area of specialty. Does this agency focus on SEO, link building, both, or just general marketing strategies? Generally, the more expertise the agency can focus on link building, the better.
- Reviews and reputation. You’ll also want to research this company’s reputation, looking at previous customer reviews and testimonials. Does this agency seem to have a good reputation for link building, or are there a lot of unsatisfied customers? Are there any accusations that this service is a scam? Rely on multiple sources to form your conclusions; onsite reviews aren’t always the most reliable.
- Transparency and process. What is this company’s process for building links? Do they start with a focus on content, or are they purely obsessed with reaching a certain quantity-based goal? While researching this, evaluate the company’s transparency as well. Is this agency open and honest about their practices, or do they try to hide their operations?
- Cost. Cost can tell you a lot about an agency. Obviously, your insurance company will probably have a set budget for your marketing needs. However, you’ll need to be wary about link building agencies that seem to be priced too competitively or attractively. In the SEO world, you get what you pay for; cheap agencies and contractors tend to be less experienced, or more willing to engage in black hat practices. Don’t be afraid to spend a little extra.
- Customer service and guarantees. What kind of customer service does this agency offer? Are they willing to stand behind their work? Are they easy to get in contact with? Even more importantly, do they have any guarantees? Will they give you a refund if you aren’t satisfied with their work?
Content Marketing & Link Building for Insurance Companies
We craft articulate content and cultivate authoritative backlinks for insurance professionals and agencies.
Content Marketing & Link Building for Insurance Companies
We craft articulate content and cultivate authoritative backlinks for insurance agencies and insurance brokers.
A thriving insurance company is built on relationships. The stronger your relationships are with your patients, the healthier your company will be. But sometimes the hardest part of building these relationships is getting people into your office. In other words, it starts with lead generation.
At the core of modern lead generation is a digital strategy that leverages content marketing to elevate your brand, enhance visibility, drive traffic, and convert leads into patients. There are numerous ways to go about this, but link building is one of the strongest, most sustainable elements.
A link building strategy uses original content to garner backlinks from authoritative websites and blogs. As a result, insurance companies are able to generate brand awareness and signal validation and authority to Google, Bing, and other search engines. But executing an effective link building strategy takes a lot of time, effort, and experience. That’s where we come in.
At SEO.co we take the challenge of link building – which many insurance companies find overwhelming – and simplify it into a reliable, turnkey service that yields consistently positive results. We write the content, select relevant publishers, handle the outreach, secure the link placement, and deliver powerful hyperlinks that boost your insurance company’s lead generation efforts. You can think of us as a virtual extension of your team.
In addition to helping you acquire a sticky web of links back to your website, we also specialize in crafting onsite content. From simple awareness pieces and how-to articles to in-depth guides and technical resources, our stable of experienced copywriters will help you develop an arsenal of content that delights your patients and accelerates your overall marketing campaign.
When you work with SEO.co, you can rest assured that you’re getting the best the industry has to offer. Our services are completely white-hat, transparent, and risk-free. Collectively, our team of U.S.-based content writers have developed millions of words of content for hundreds of clients across dozens of industries and niches. And with an unparalleled money-back guarantee, you can be sure you’re maximizing your budget.
Talk to an SEO.co team member today to learn more about how our content services can help your insurance company grow!
Why Work With SEO.co?
100% focused on quality content and quality backlinks
We follow a simple, time-tested process for building quality website backlinks for your business:
- 100% U.S. based content team with direct expertise in insurance companies
- Reliable & quality publishers, including top-tier websites eager for quality software-related content
- Fantastic customer support with direct access to our team at all times
- Non-branded link and content publishing reports
- Fully white-hat services. No spammy links ever.
- Rapid order turn-around time
- Full transparency on all content orders throughout the process
- Money-back guarantee. You only pay when we deliver!
At SEO.co, we’re dedicated to the art of link building and the science of SEO for insurance companies. We offer a robust suite of services, including the development of high-quality offsite content and the placement of high-DA links, to ensure your insurance website not only gets more traffic, but also higher rankings and brand visibility in search engines.
When you work with us, you’ll get guaranteed well-written content, tailored to the insurance industry, as well as ongoing support from our dedicated customer service team. Our work is completely transparent, with a turnaround time that sets the industry standard, and if you aren’t satisfied with our work for any reason, we offer a full money-back guarantee.
Ready to get started? Contact us today to learn more!